Words from Their Excellencies
• Many awards and achievements to/by Madronans recently:
Rowan of Atherdee – elevated to the Order of the Pelican
Hobbe de Coyners – Award of arms
Alicia de Bois – Alium Vitae
Rauokinn Eyverska Starradottir – Grace of AnTir and Bountiful Hand
Isentrude von Osten – Grif de Leon/AoA
Aleanora & Athos, are our new Crown Prince & Princess
• B&B gave many many awards at Emprise, They will post those to our social media lists so they are seen more widely.
• Baronial Progress –Baronial Socials, Baron’s ball, collegium & one of two Yules in December
• Largesse Request – still need largesse. Only has six items, and has an event this weekend to give stuff to the crown/host barony etc. Please help!!!
Words from the Seneschal
• note from Society Seneschal – no covid safety measures required by the BoD anymore just the legal disclaimer.
• Working with their excellencies & exchequer to update event forms to have more info accessible for future event stewards. Hopes to have a report on that next month.
• Event retrospective in the works. May be reaching out to former event stewards.
• Updating customary this winter.
• sent in Quarterly report
• Thank you to Simon for running the Heraldic social last month
• Baronial Monday Socials (tentatively 1st and 3rd Mondays)
Oct 3 – Historical Clothing Show and Tell and winter planning! – Gera and Kerij-e hosting
Oct 17 – TBD Clothing focused
Nov 7 – Lucet and spindle class by Gisella.
Nov 21 – Largesse work party – 3-4 tables of teaching people crafts to make things for themselves AND for largesse.
• Call for hosts for future socials – you don’t need to do/teach the thing, if you can be the person coordinating. Think of it like a mini event. Games night, book review, classes, whatever. Kid friendly is a bonus. Talk to Kerij-e if interested.
Words from the Port de L’eau Seneschal
• Looking at bid for Kingdom AS&R for 2024
• Also now looking at kingdom heraldic & scribal late 2023
Exchequer – Etiennette
• Extending for 1 year – clear support by officers present
• Financial Meeting: we’re currently in the black financially for the year. Updating bank account signatories.
• will be revisiting Financial Policy as it’s been a few years.
• Officers: please get your proposed budget to her soon so she can propose budget in November. Please be specific: “I need $50 for ___”
• Thanks to their Excellencies, Steven & Enzio for storage unit clean out. We no longer need a bigger one!
• Our Baronial Pavilion has sustained more damage. At $303 per grommet repair (per the recently done repair) is it worth it? Is $1200 in repairs to an aging pavilion worth while??? Starting to see seam tears. Canvas is too weak for the strain it takes. Should we be fundraising for a new pavilion ? this one is only 7 years old. Expected lifespan should be much longer, but Panther didn’t care when we reached out to them.
– there’s other damage to the tent – the ridge pole poked a hole in the ridgeline of the canvas.
-Do we want commercial coated plastic instead of canvas, something designed to stay up longer.
– This seems like an aberration. Also problem with ridge & center poles.
-Consensus that we need to replace vs repair. Exchequer will start pricing options.
-last time paid for with a silent auction to raise $$
A&S – Aeron
• Extending – clear support by officers present.
• wants a deputy to train up
• largesse – a lot of it goes unclaimed when distributed to event stewards. Suggested more practical items like pouches, & lacing cords, assorted group projects. Will post to arrange something.
• with highnesses based in Madrone area, lots of people working on stuff for their reign. Planning on hosting a bunch of work days (after Great Western War) to help with projects to show them off to their best. Again will post soon. [Lots of people in barony are working on projects for them if none of Aeron’s project nights work for you, there will be other opportunities.]
• working on new champion hoods, needs wool donations. See email soon.
• working w/Rotrude to plan next A&S championship/changeover.
Chatelaine – Tabytha
• good feedback on focused socials. People aren’t comfy at vague un-themed things.
Chamberlain – Enzio
• Had an Inventory and locker cleanup. Much tidier & cleaned out some unneeded stuff.
Herald – Simon
• Heraldy Social – went well, talked to a couple folks wanting devices.
• helping a few folks with registration.
• PDL looking at hosting Kingdom Heraldic & Scribal, will be helping with that.
Armored Combat Marshall – Nicklaus
• Extending. Clear support from officers present.
• Great attendance.
– donations have been lacking at practice despite record attendance. Need to post something to remind people that it’s needful. Report from financial committee is that we only raised 10% of what the site costs so far this year. Nick will try to remind people to donate to cover costs.
Rapier Combat Marshall – Temetgen [Don Samuel reporting]
• uptick in new fighters. Using cones for separating out new folks so they are/feel safe. High attendance = pressure on the parking & the space.
• Trying to show new folks that there’s more than just fighting. A class of just here’s the rules would be useful. Having gold key show up & talk to them about any help needed pre-events would be great.
• Thinking about publishing a training schedule with theme nights (for heavy & rapiers) wants a sense of if that’s something people would like. And maybe a newcomers night emphasized once per month.
Scribe – Lianor [Baron Kit reporting]
• 2nd Wed work-night (Alternates between North and South)
• 3rd Place Books down south is a little small (also parking probs. Would like a better place if anyone has a suggestion for the south end)
• Next one 10/12 north end 3rd Place Books.
Social Media – Basilius
• Extending. Clear support from Officers Present
• 15 new people on FB group
• Kerij-e has requested a list of all Madrone FB groups to share. If you have a group please make sure the seneschal or Soc Media is a member
Webster – Rowenna
• web is rolling along
• will try to make calendar more active.
• trying to create a new page for activities.
Chronicler – Eden
• Newsletter not being taken – need a better distribution system. Suggestions welcome.
Sergeantry – Basilius and Kate
• brainstorming remaining tests
Culinary Guild – Ysolt
• mostly still virtual. 1st Wednesday business/social meeting
• video night will pause for winter
• cookbook pamphlets finally for sale again
Dance – Ranulf
• Dance practice continues.
• Also spontaneous dance at Emprise was wonderful per Her Excellency
Equestrian – Annisa – no report
Emprise of the Black Lion – Gera and Alianora
• 52 adults for the weekend + 15 day-trippers & some kids. (less than half pre Covid #s)
• $1780 income, Expenses only $1984 (thanks to some generous donations). Lost $254 but given the numbers, that’s not bad. Those who did come had a lovely time.
• Per discussion earlier this year, looking at alternating years with Baronial Banquet, but may instead combine with Vulcanfeldt to do an archery/equestrian combo event in Septembers going forward
• site will cost more in future. She’s been freezing the price for a while…
• Initial event proposal for Athenaeum 2023 from Baron Aeron, gathering staff & momentum. Moving back to last weekend in June. [Kerij-e reached out to Lake Wa High School already, and is in contact with their new rental person]
• Call for Event Stewards and Co-Stewards – We’ll train! Her excellency proposes an event stewarding class to help folks considering volunteering.
On the Kingdom Calendar for 2023:
* Lionhearts Martial Championships – May 6th
* Athenaeum – June 24
* Peasants Revel – July 8
* Harvest Dinner – Oct 28