Barony of Madrone Curia
Minutes for April 11, 2016
B&B Welcome (Baron Stefan of Pembroke/Baroness Emmelina de Coventry)
Baroness Emmelina is not here tonight (she is visiting family out of town)
Seneschal Welcome and Report (HL Gera Gangolffin)
- Financial committee meeting TO BE ANNOUNCED.
- NEED Camp Coordinator at May Crown!!!
- Tentatively taken by Lady Juana
- If she does NOT get responses by April 22, the space will be given back to the Event Steward Team
Exchequer Report (Julian)
Checking $ 7,579.62
Money Market $ 15,006.28
Money was transferred from Money Market into checking to keep the balance up. ($2,676.32)
Actual journal balance on bank account is $7,260.48
Donations: Keri-je’s auction was SUPER SUCCESSFUL!! (earmarked for paying the pavilion back). Pavilion was $ 2,425.32. Auction raised $ 1,825. We have $ 600.32 to go to pay for the pavilion.
Donations for site: started $870.80
First Quarter $ 1,077.75
Jan & Feb site rental for practice space are paid
March & April being paid tonight
Note: General funds have not been going into this “account”
Direct contributions $ 1,133.75 (cash plus checks)
(This site costs us $75/week)
Weekly contributions average $385 over the last four months
Discussion regarding how to keep this trend going. Let’s provide a basis and move forward to keep making money for the barony.
- 3/19/16: Madrone A&S Championship (HL Emma la Rousse d’Argentan)
- Thank you to everyone who worked on the event!
- Sara stayed under budget on the kitchen
- Waivers turned in
- Getting security deposit back, which means a profit of $248.10
- 103 people through the door for this event (11 youth, 1 child)
- Keri-Je has questions about leftovers from the auction: how to handle? Save for a future auction or donate for largess? Largess will go to Alicia. The choice will be left to the donor.
- 4/20: Shakespeare Demo for UW (external demo, not an official SCA event) (Sir Brand)
- Begins at 4pm
- Fighting at 6pm
- Several from the Barony are planning to attend
- Still looking for eric ropes to be present—Sir Brand will coordinate with Sgt. Karrell
- Sir Brand brings some calling cards to hand out
- There will be photos, video, etc. Then start working with the college now for next year.
- This looks to be a building year.
- Henry V is portrayed by a professional actor
- Many of the participants are stage fighters, so we need to be cognizant of that
- Talk it up on Facebook! It’s coming up next week!
- Looking to revive St. Bunstable, get it reestablished. Looking to reach out to the historical fencing group, archery group, etc.
- Can anyone send out SCA information at the event? Baroness Bergdiss can get information to the right people.
- 7/9/16: Peasants’ Revel (Sarra the Brave)
- Look forward to the same as usual
- 8/13/16: Madrone Masters’ Tournament (Lord Cesare Carravagio)
- Marymoor Park, rapier
- Goals—establish prize for the tourney: Don Christopher will create a silk banner as a prize
- Megara would like to host the lunch portion (stew and bread, nothing too fancy)
- $5.00 pay to play tournament, but no event registration fee
- Will also think of other ways to monetize this (pay to sponsor a fighter, auction fighters, etc.)
- 9/23-25/16: Emprise of the Black Lion (Master Guillaume Garrigues/Baroness Alianora Greymoor)
- Considering three site options
- Reber is being responsive but does not allow camping
- Enumclaw option which the team walked yesterday; think it’s viable, but there are some price questions.
- Emailed back and forth with the contact
- Asked a few questions that would affect pricing
- Appointment tomorrow to have another phone conversation
- Aware that we are Non-Profit
- Looking at about $3,000 for the use of the facility over the weekend
- Break even brings us to $2,000 for all expenses inclusive; need the site to be in the $1500 price range. Will discuss tomorrow
- Stall charge $20 for rental, $10 if you clean up after yourself
- Site is very spacious; more than enough room for what we need to do; only using ½ of available camping space. Wyewood has given permission to use the site.
- Guillaume wants to start advertising at May Crown; need to lock a site prior to May Crown. Is there a way to expedite the decision? Lady Gera suggest at the Financial Committee Meeting.
- Site has an arena for rodeos, but is a bit short for games. Therefore, proposing to do activities on the main field.
- Cle Elum horse park option
- Vulkanfeldt is interested in moving forward, sharing the event and sharing the profits, perhaps in 2017.
- Baron Stephan indicates that we are probably NOT going to be sharing the Emprise with another branch. Would like to hold this as our own, rather than splitting with another branch
- Discussion to be continued
- May Crown 2017 (HE Stephen des Jardin, HL Gera Gangolffin)
- Grant County Fairgrounds (Moses Lake)
- Partnering w/ Ambergard
- Site was used for May Crown in 2009
- Site Cost: unknown at this time
- Biffies: 3,500 (there are flushies adjacent to the space we are using, so the total cost may be reduced)
- Anticipated 600 attendees
- Will present at May Crown (next month)
- Baronial share? Approximately $2,300.
- Lady Gera would like to offer Ambergard 5/10%.
- Ambergard is very small, only 6 members.
- Etienette will reach out to Wastekeep for assistance
- There is some discussion of the distance from various branches to the site
- Planning on a minimum of 40 people to crew/run the event
- Will get firm numbers; will discuss further at Financial Committee Meeting
- Please Note: Staffing Plan has a lot of blanks! We need volunteers!
- Baronial finance. Donations to date? SEE EXCHEQUER MINUTES
- Camp Don Bosco, out near Carnation; overnight camping
- They would like us to come do an equestrian demonstration on July 21, which is a Thursday (WILL need ground support!!)
- It’s Knights and Princesses week!
- Jousting! How do demos work with the whole “official/non-official” event
- Insurance—yes (will look into exactly what is required for this demo)
- No event registration fee = no NMS
- Waivers will be signed by anyone who is an active participant in the demo
- The goal is to start building good will with this camp! (Cabins, camping, full kitchen, feast hall, etc.)
- Baron Stephan reminds us that we need to do these kinds of things to retain our 501(c)(3) status
- Will attempt to segue this into an overnight October event (maybe). Small baronial event. Little bit of rapier, lot of eating, booze, etc. Post-tourney wrap-up event.
- Will talk to the Camp about the potential for achery.
- Will bring an official written bid/description next month.
Officer positions accepting applications:
- Herald—Lady Mathilda stepping down. Looking for a successor! Will do this quarter’s report, but would like SOMEONE ELSE to do the next quarter’s report!
- Gold Key Deputy
- Rapier Marshal Deputy
- Family Activities coordinator
Appendix: Reports from Guilds, Officers, Subgroups
Costumers (Acting)(Lady Juana al Rumiya – the Christian)
Greetings,As discussed at A&S/Bardic the costumers guild is reforming. I am hoping to make it a really welcoming fun activity for everyone and want to have as many classes and brilliant leaders there as possible. If you are an experienced costumer, we need you! Please come and share your knowledge. If you have a workshop you want to teach, let me know. If you have never sewn anything ever there will be a loaner sewing machine and basic supplies at every meeting. Come with some linen or wool and leave with a basic t-tunic and some pants. If you are in the middle, sewing is always better with friends and extra hands make fittings more fun. The first meeting is a Saturday, because of weird Scheduling. All following meetings will be on the 1st Sunday of every month. Baring a change in meeting room policies, here is the schedule.
Saturday April 2nd 10:00-4:00 Duvall Library
Sunday May 8th 12-4 Shoreline Joanne Fabric and Craft Classroom
Sunday June 5th 12-6 Bellevue Library Meeting Room
Sunday July 3rd. (I booked the Joann Fabric Classroom but will be at AnTir West War. Can someone cover?)
Sunday July 7th Bellevue Library Meeting Room
Culinary (Mistress-in-Waiting Ysolt of Wind Hill)
Dance (HL Ranulf Mirthe)
Just back from five days in Firenze and one in Siena (sigh).
Madrone Baronial A&S/B
Mistress Sara de Bonneville taught class (one student) and led dancing (8 dancers). Music by Maddalena (Madrone) and HL Jason the Soelfor-Tongued (Everett), mostly recorders.
Master Trahaern led and taught dance. 4 dancers.
Madrone: Dance demo at Central Library (re Shakespeare 1st Folio)
Seagirt: Spring Masked Ball
OT but P Apr 30th
Piffaro the Renaissance Wind Band in concert at Town Hall
Madrone demo, Marymoor Park
Good luck with your projects, and I hope this finds you and your loved ones happy and healthy.
Equestrian (Mistress Annisa)
There is a practice this Saturday, April 16, in Maple Valley. See the MED website for more details. http://madrone.equestrianguild.org/dynamic/MEG/Practices. Planning continues for the Emprise of the black Lion XV, on September 23-25, and our next meeting is on April 28 in Issaquah.
Pewter (Master Sean O’Conner)
Archery (Mistress Shadhra Aliya)
Practice is on hiatus until Spring 2016.
Arts & Sciences (6/17) (HE Aeron Corrino)
Baronial A&S was a great success, we have a new A&S Champion, a new Bardic Champion, a new head of The Madrone Costumer’s guild and there were excellent classes in dance and performance and a special THANKYOU to his Excellency of Aqueterra for teaching a class on Enameling. A great deal was packed into one very great day…..capped off by a delicious dinner served by the Culinary guild and an auction
Branch Marshal (5/17) (Don Enzio Bandinelli)
Looking for a replacement so that he can return to serving as Rapier Marshal.
Chamberlain (4/17) (HL Karrel der Ertmundigender)
Storage locker is getting full. Need a work party! Need an inventory!
Sgt. Karrel will post a date!!!
Chatelaine (6/16) (Baroness Bergdis Thorgrimsdottir)
We had 1 new email inquiries in March, a young man brand new to the SCA. We also had 5 new members in the meet-up group. I have provided information, and generally encouraged the new contacts to come to a Social as their first activity. For young people, I also refer them to Sarah Pixie, the YAC. We had some new people at the Month Baronial Social, as well.
Chatelaine for the Barony of Madrone
Family Activities Coordinator (vacant)
Herald (6/16) (Lady Matilda Stoyle)
Stepping down, looking for a replacement.
Lists (2/18) (Luaithrend the Falconer’s Wife)
No events, no tournaments to report.
Learning the basics of archery lists. The learning curve is steeper than anticipated, but I shall endeavor to persevere!
In service always,
luaithrend inghean uilliam, Minister of Lists
Rapier (12/16) (HL Renzo di Venturius)
Scribe (6/16) (HL Rignach of Argyll)
Thrown Weapons – (HL Klaufi Hafrsson)
Thrown Weapons Report
Thrown Weapons practice started back up on March 23rd. We are moving practice from Thursdays at 6 to Wednesdays at 5:30 to dark. Darts medallions were distributed at A&S. Congrats Phil Cohen on a top ten medallion, as well as Klaufi Hafrssonn. Search continues for a suitable venue for Madrone TW championship
Web (8/16) (Lady Alicia du Bois)
What happened in March:
Baronial Website Project:
- Website migration from Joomla! to WordPress is SO CLOSE TO complete. The new website looks very very similar to the old site and should be online in the next week. I will work on giving it a design facelift in the next couple of months
- I made a reasonable effort to catch any links within the pages and to make sure that they work within the new site. If you find anything that gives an error page or if something is missing, please let me know at email@example.com
- If you need to update the Madrone website and do not already have a login to administer the site, please contact me.
- updated some calendar entries
- removed link to the Baronial A&S event page
- Created a new page for our newly re-formed costumer’s guild and set up forwarding addresses for both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com well as firstname.lastname@example.org
Lady Alicia du Bois
Webster of Madrone
Youth Armored Combat Marshal (Lady Sara Pixie)
I held 2 practices in Renton, 2 practices in Seattle and 2 practice in Everett in March. We are averaging 4 to 6 kids each practice. Waivers were signed, kids wore armor and fun was had.
Lady Sarah Pixie
Canton of Porte de l’Eau (Baroness Aleksandra Lavrovna)
PdL is happening! New meeting space (Crossroads). Meeting is fourth Monday.
Marymoor Park, May 14, “A Day in the Park with Sven”
Space is approx 250 x 250.
Two large erics in the center
Display stations for arts, culinary, fiber, general A&S, pewter, bards?, party band?
And the sword auctioned off at Baronial A&S is actually going to be the prize for the heavy tournament!