Curia Minutes 2015-04

Barony of Madrone Curia

Agenda for

April 13, 2015

7:13PM  Call to Order


B&B Welcome (Baron Stefan of Pembroke/Baroness Emmelina de Coventry)

            Welcome to our new home.

            Think of it as the new Baronial Home, rather than just the fighter practice sight.    

            Every Monday night we have something happening here.

                        1st Monday scribal

                        2nd Monday Curia

                        3rd Social and Dance, also more scribal

                        4th Various Things (Sergeantry meeting, etc.)

            We encourage the guilds to bring meetings or classes to this site.

            Now, pretty much any Monday you can drop in and something will be going on.

            It gives the whole group, the entire Madrone family, to come together on a regular



            The barony will be paying a part of the cost, but we will also still continue to take            donations.  Drop in $5 when you can, or whatever you can afford to donate.  It’s            not a requirement, drop in whatever you can whenever you can.  The idea is to      help defray the cost of the rental space with the donations.


            Space here is $35/hour, $70 per night.  We do pay an additional $35 a month for    the second floor room for the second Monday curia meeting. However we are        working with the church to do some volunteering with them for the café, which is open to the public during the day.   We’re talking with the church             about…interruption while Sir Philip strolls in wearing his armor….  Returning to   discussion, we are looking to get the second Monday for free, which is why we            are looking to work with the church.


            Pavilion:  need help setting new pavilion up at May Crown.  Sir Athos will be       hauling the trailer with the pavilion down.  Stay tuned for more details on where             and when to help with this first setup!!


            Revisiting the discussion regarding the old pavilion, Baron Stefan indicates that      he understands now the emotional attachment to the current pavilion.  He   encourages everyone to get out, help with the new pavilion, and make that same    connection.


Seneschal Welcome and Report (Lady Gera Gangolffin)


            Not much to report.  Just working on a short meeting.


            Also needs someone to coordinate camping for May Crown on site as Lady Gera will not be camping on site.


Exchequer Report (HL Lianor Pereira DoValle)


            Pavilion has been shipped.  Check has been cashed.  We should have the pavilion   by May Crown.  We still have money. 


            Checking:           $ 6,545.52

            Money Market:  $ 17,603.64



Close out—nothing new to close out


In Process

·      Peasants’ Revel

o   Coordinating for food.

o   Paperwork ready

o   Should be a good, fun event.

o   Encouraging everyone to show up.

o   Might be one or two new traditions established!


·      Emprise of the Black Lion (Master Guillaume de Garrigues)

o   Good news!  Brought a formal event proposal.  Given to Baron, Baroness, Seneschal, and Exchequer.

o   Can we do it at Reber this year?  Guillaume went down there this morning and sat down with Mike.  Mike took a photocopy of the last contract we used and is going to speak to his manager about keeping the same terms, as we have been very good tenants.

o   We should have a decision from Reber by Wednesday.

o   If they cannot accommodate, we will look at another site.

o   Mike is trying to do a package deal and get it into our budget.

o   Guillaume estimated $1,000 for site rental, $300 more than we paid last year and $100 more than he had counterproposed ($900).  Just trying to be on the safe side giving that estimate.

o   At $1,000, if we leave the site fee at $10, our break even would end up being 147.  We had 243 last year.  With an estimate of 150 attendees, that’s $30 profit.

o   Guillaume broke it down to arena, track, infield on Saturday, that penciled out to $900 with the current contract.  But he is still going for $700.

o   Note, this estimate does not include anything about the split.

o   Baron Stefan commends Guillaume on his hard work to try to get Reber to work.

o   Guillaume will email once he hears.

o   Alianora has agreed to be Event Steward.

o   Note that people from multiple Kingdoms are asking when Emprise is and indicating that it’s going on their calendar this year.  It is becoming world famous!  There are not many events that are known throughout the entire Society.

o   Dates:  September 18-20.

o   Note:  will be opposite both Lord Defender’s and Last Thing.  (And Summits Coronet, although that is not in our area)

o   Quick little addition from Sir Rafael, who also indicates that he spoke to people at Gulf Wars and that we should have between 4 and 6 wood lance jousters at Emprise.



·      Madrone Baronial Feast (Baroness Aleksandra Lavrovna)

o   Needs her second approval this month.  Has not changed anything.

o   Going with a break even scenario of $15 site fee and $13 feast fee.

o   In the past we have taken the deposit out of the site fee.  We are NOT comfortable doing that; the reality is that something might happen and we might not get it back.  So we are going with a break even that includes that.

o   Break even is 120 people.

o   That gives us a $10 profit.

o   Deposit is $300.

o   Has spoken with people about classes, etc. during the day so that the site fee will have a bit more value.

o   Perhaps games, perhaps a culinary workshop on garnish. 

o   Also going to be talking with An Tir Players about theatre during the day.

o   Date:  October 17, 2015.

o   The Perfectly Period Feast will also be doing Italian.  Looking to borrow decorations etc. from them when they are done.

o   Reservations will be opening at our August Curia.  See Sarra the Brave.      




Old Business

·      What to do with current baronial pavilion



New Business


Officer Reports

New officers:

                        Madelena has agreed to do family activites coordinator AND scribal deputy.

            We are talking with Baron/ess Aeron later tonight about the A&S Officer Position.


Officer positions accepting applications:

·      Knight Marshal (5/15)

o   Need to be a junior marshal

o   Preferably a senior marshal

o   Any discipline


·      Gold Key Deputy


Reports from Officers, Subgroups & Guilds

Archery (Mistress Shadhra Aliya) – Inactive for season

Arts & Sciences (4/15) (HL Katryne MacKim)

Chamberlain (4/14) (HL Karrel der Ertmundigender)

We still have stuff. My warrant has been renewed for another 2-3 years (signed by officers at curia tonight).


Baronial Chamberlain


Chatelaine (6/16)(Baroness Bergdis Thorgrimsdottir)

We had 6 new email or Facebook inquiries in March, all essentially brand new, but with some past connection to the SCA. We also had 4 new members in the meet-up group. I have provided information, and generally encouraged the new contacts to come to a Social (Madrone or Porte de l’Eau) as their first activity. Some have also been steered to connect to special interest groups. We saw some of our recent new people at the Month Baronial Social, which is now moved to the new indoor Fight Practice site.


Sons of Norway asked for folks for help with a demo, but we had conflicts with other events.  Our one volunteer was a weaver, and they already had enough weavers.  Plus it was really late notice.  Got the feeling that we were a “show,” more than a teaching or recruiting function.  Would hope that if they reach out to us again more people would be able to volunteer.


Bergdis Thorgrimsdottir

Chatelaine for the Barony of Madrone

Also regarding demos, etc., Baron Pembrake indicates that the new people (drawing them in, welcoming them, etc.), is very important to himself and the Baroness.  Congratulates Bergdis on the excellent job she has done as our Chatelaine.  Thank you very much!!!




Herald (6/16) (Lady Matilda Stoyle)

Events/Court Report


Madrone did not hold any events since my last report.


Misc Announcements


The Baronial heraldic library received a lovely gift of a paper copy of a new translation of O-Umajirushi, an early 17th-century Japanese heraldic work.  Big thanks to Basil Dragonstrike for taking note of the opportunity;  the translator’s Kickstarter campaign was giving some away to branches who requested them.


I spent most of February and March with real-life goings-on (new job! moved into new house!) so did not offer any classes.


I did go to Estrella War in late February and spent a couple of days at the consulting table.  Surprisingly, most of my time was spent drawing devices and badges on forms for people (as opposed to, say, giving advice about names).  If you can draw *and* have a good basic understanding of heraldry, please consider volunteering your artistic services at events with large consulting tables — the other heralds will love you.


If you want to see some really, really horrible yet awesome stunt heraldry check out the April 1st Letters of Intent on OSCAR:


This year people found what we would probably consider registration-worthy documentation for names such as “Tooth Feri”, “Bilbo Biggens”, “Jon Jacob Ingelheimer Schmidt”,  “Dana Skulley”, “Fox Mulder”, “Bermuda Short”, “Otto Bot”, and “Hammond Egg Sandwich”.


Name and Device Registrations


Recently registered:

Alicia du Bois – name and device

Henry Hosteler – name change from Ian of Ashton

Agnes Hosteler – name

Agnes and Henry Hosteler – household name and joint badge

Oddr Þiálfason – alternate name ʻAbd al-Nūr ibn al-Hasib ibn al-Tayyib al-Faqīh

Xavier the Sinister – name

Landin de Marest – name

Order of Defense – name, badge, and regalia — see for details


Recently returned at Laurel:

Landin de Marest – device will be redrawn and resubmitted

Ordre du Lion et de la Lance –  order name change to Ordo Equi was denied


Currently in the registration process:


Have been decided on by Laurel, but the Letter of Acceptances and Returns (LoAR) is still being proofread:

Stefan of Pembroke – badge

Xavier the Sinister – device

Enzio Bandinelli – name

Morgan Donner – device


Being decided at this month’s Laurel meetings:

Basil Dragonstrike – heraldic will on 2015-01-31 LOI

Enzio Bandinelli – device on 2015-01-31 LOI

Genevieve Marie Etiennette de Montagne – badge on 2015-01-31 LOI

Mariia Aleksandra Lavrovna – badge on 2015-01-31 LOI

Rowan of Atherdee – name and device on 2015-01-31 LOI


On an An Tir Letter of Intent (LOI), which contains checked submissions being sent to Laurel for a final round of discussion:

Oddr Þiálfason – blanket permission to conflict with his arms and heraldic will on 2015-02-28 LOI

Verena Reynhartt – name and device on 2015-03-31 LOI

Oddr Þiálfason – transfer of badge on 2015-03-31 LOI


Returned by An Tir’s college of heralds:

Annora Vieri – name returned (but she’s found an even awesomer new name since then!)




Matilda Stoyle

Red Tree Pursuivant

Lists (HL Rowena D’ath-fhirdia)

Nothing to report for Lists other than supplies are in good order for the tourney season.  

In Service, 



Knight Marshal (5/15) (Master Sean O’Conner)

Fighting continues, no injuries and waivers get signed. With both Monday and Wednesday practices happening in conjunction, attendence has been all over the place. Most Mondays have armored combat attendance 6-12 heavy fighters. With Wednesday Practices 0-7 fighters. I believe that my tenure is coming up and I will need to find a replacement, since I’ll will be busy with Order of Defence business.


Thank you.

Master Sean O’Conner


Youth Armored Combat Marshal (Lady Sara Pixie)

            No activity in March.


Rapier (12/15) (HL Renzo di Venturius)


Fighting continues; waivers are signed; no injuries or incidents; attendance increasing; 1 new authorization; no events this past month; the weather has been exciting


Scribe (6/16) (HL Rignach of Argyll)

Scribal Night:

Date & Time: The scribal night is happening the first & third Mondays. The

Next meeting is tonight, April 6. Location is the school where fight

practice is happening.


Charters: I received no painted charters in March. I have more kingdom

charters to hand out. Please return to me anything you have outstanding,

even unfinished work. I am trying to amass enough to cover both the Emprise

*AND* Banquet because they are too close together for work to occur between.


Current Stock: Based on what I have and guesstimated need for the next two

events with some extra stock allowed for A&S. No production occurred over

the Nov-Dec holidays last year. I project none will this year. So totals

actually reflect three events worth.


            Tsvetis: Have 4, Need 8-10 Total

Green Leafs: Have 7, Need 10-12 Total

Gwraidds: Have 6, Need 2 Total

Rapier Champion: Have 1, Need 1 Total

Champions: Have 0, Need 4 Tota

            Book marks: Have 0, Need 12 total

Thank Yous: Have 0, Need 4 total


Attendance: March 17th  six scribes in attendance. No class.


Classes: No classes the last two meetings. Attendance is lower on a painting

only night. Scribes have requested classes to bring them out to Scribal



Upcoming subjects for April and May will include: Matching Calligraphy

hands to that disconnected image, Shading in the medieval fashion, by Alicia

du Bois, Whitework, by Matilda, and Calligraphy – Part Two by Ismenia.


Office Materials:


Black and Green Wax ($73.92) – request submitted in March

Print run to repair charter masters (cleanup) and run a print run for new

artwork for six new designs. ($86.00) – not getting reimbursement


Still Needed:


Black wax melting/pouring pot (using coke can for now)

Box to contain all the seal making elements – needs to be heavy duty enough to contain the cast iron griddle, all the wax, matrix, poured seals, melting pots, tools, and foils.

Archival storage for past reign charters & masters – looking at portfolios and acid free boxes. So far, these seem expensive solutions.


March Goals:

Make a list of sources for materials for the Scribal Manual (complete)

Hold a discussion on whitework (complete)

Hold a follow up class on Calligraphy – the next step (in

Get names for scrolls for two fall events from the Baron & Baroness for

assignment to scribes (Requested)

Make a large print run so I have more charters to hand out – (Complete)

Add a Port d’leau scribal night – (Not started)


April Goals:

Confirm Teachers for Classes – (In Progress)

Build up an inventory of charters ready to be signed and sealed (In


Make a list of Scribes and their contact info for Manual – (Complete)

Finish the last entries for the new Scribal Manual – (In Progress)

Find a deputy – (In Progress)

Get approval for continued work on Framing projects – (In Progress)


Lady Rignach of Argyll

Baronial Scribe, Madrone


Thrown Weapons – (HL Klaufi Hafrsson) – Inactive for season

            Back on for the season!!!

Web (8/16) (Lady Alicia du Bois)



Culinary (HL Ysolt of Wind Hill) 

Dance (Master Trahaearn ap Ieuan)

Good morrow. My apologies for the delayed report.


Master Guillaume de Garriques leads Camp Fromage Party Band in weekly rehearsals.


March 21st Wyewood Spring Faire and Collegium:

HL Soelig and HL Alen (Aquaterra) taught dance: Bransles from Arbeau’s _Orhesographie_ (Langres, 1588), Old Measures from the Inns of Court (London, 1570-1675) and country dances from Playford’s English Dancing Master (london, 1651-early 1700’s). ~8-12 dancers. Music by Mistress Catroine (Wyewood) and Ranulf (Madrone) on recorders. Sergeant Karl (Madrone) amused all by borrowing one of the box horses (from the indoor tilting) and sharking into Bransle des Chevaux (horses’ Bransle).

Pre-court music by Jorunn Aleksdottir (Wyewood), Mistress Catroine and Ranulf. Their Excellencies entered court “riding” box horses.


March 30th Madrone Social and combat practice:

Dance taught by Master Trahaern (Madrone), assisted by HL Soeling and Alen (all three are preparing for Known World Dance Symposium in Drachenwald this week).  ~6-8 dancers, including two of the newcomers. Danced mostly Old Measures from the Inns of Court, some Arbeau Bransles and Playford English country. Music by Ranulf.


Preparations continue for Perfectly Period Feast North next weekend (Longbranch, WA), focused on 1487 Firenze. Plan to teach 15th-century Italian balli from Master Trahaern’s notes. Mistress Alisaundre and Master Leith plan to attend and perform music. Vyncent atte Wodegate, Geoffrey Mathias and Crystal of the Westermark plan to attend and play music; possibly teaching basse danse.


Thank you for your time and attention.


HL Ranulf Mirthe

mka Toivo Rovainen

Equestrian (Mistress Kerij-e)

Pewter (Master Sean O’Conner)

Canton of Porte de l’Eau (Baroness Aleksandra Lavrovna)

            The canton is cantoning along.  Meeting this Friday.


Sergeant report:  we had two sergeants at Wyewood Itrha, Horses Bransle


Equestrian:  practice on 25th

Anyone interested in helping at Emprise please start now.

Also, the sgts that helped out last year please come back!

Anyone that comes to ground crew training, Sir Rafael made a whole set of toys to play with.

Lots of folks went to Gulf Wars and came back with some really great information.  So we will be working on training.

Next month, let’s do Guilds before we do officer reports.