Barony of Madrone
Curia Minutes for
June 13, 2016
Call to Order: 7:11pm
B&B Welcome (Baron Stefan of Pembroke/Baroness Emmelina de Coventry)
- Awards at Crown:
- Mistress Ysolt—Pelican!!
- Honorable Lord Cesare—sable gauntlet (at June Faire)
- Luca—Goutte de Sangue (at June Faire)
- Marcus—AoA (at June Faire)
- Also many “winnings” at Boar’s Hunt for Madrone!!!
Seneschal Welcome and Report (HL Gera Gangolffin)
Lots to do! Let’s go to it!
Trusting that folks running events are having meetings, etc. and can just give a 5-minute recap at Curia.
Exchequer Report (HL Emma la Rousse de la Argentan)
Checking $ 5,649,99
Money Market $ 15,017.55
Sergeantry is releasing $5.69 back into the budget
Note: If you have events where you are JUST paying for the food, still must do an NMS sheet. Just paperwork, no money transacting.
- Demo Report, Sir Brandt:
- UW Demo, smaller than his original vision
- But pleased to say that our first year is done; thus proving that it CAN be done!!!
- Would like to see this a yearly event.
- Official, on the weekend, to promote more attendance.
- Make it a yearly event, reinstate St. Bunstable!!! (Baron Pembroke volunteers Sir Brandt to be Seneschal; Sir Brandt MAY consider this matter.)
- Thanks to: Sgt. Karrel (who brought the list fields!!); Kerij-e and Rafael (he was DRESSED to the nines, dressed King Henry, and brought extra armor! She led the archers!); HL Gera! Etienette! And everyone who showed up and tried to bring up the numbers! To the cast and crew, and to the populace!
- $150 to the Barony!!!
- 7/9/16: Peasants’ Revel
- Autocrat works Monday nights, but Ysolt speaks
- Games! Fun! Paperwork!!
- No meetings!!!
- Naps! Chase Things! Sheep!!
- Village Heads: Gera Gangolffin and Brother Karrell
- 8/13/16: Madrone Masters’ Tournament (HL Cesare Carravagio)
- Moving along. Come and sponsor a fighter! Picnic! Enjoy!
- 9/23-25/16: Emprise of the Black Lion (Master Guillaume Garrigues/Baroness Alianora Greymoor)
- Come, enjoy, hooray!!!
- 10/1/16: A Day in the Park with Sven
- Will be speaking about the event more starting in August. (No PdL meeting in July)
- 5/19-21/17: May Crown 2017 (Baron Stephen des Jardin, HL Gera Gangolffin)
Event bid approved. Contract with sign signed and submitted, check request for reservation fee & deposit will be sent tomorrow. Let the planning begin!
Planning meetings to start this fall.
Need Land Steward; Merchant Coordinator.
- 6/23: June youth demo for YMCA, Bothell (Lady Sarah Pixie), Woodmoor Elementary School, 12225 Northeast 60th Street, Bothell, WA
- First week of Summer Camp program, medieval week!!
- 10:00 start time to 1:00pm
- Each demo area 45 minutes-ish
- Groups of 20-30 children, 45 minute blocks.
- 6/23: June youth demo for YMCA, Bothell (Lady Sarah Pixie), Woodmoor Elementary School, 12225 Northeast 60th Street, Bothell, WA
- 7/22: Equestrian demo for Donnie Bosco (Sir Rapheal)
Greetings unto the Barony,
I am sorry that none of the demo team are able to attend tonight for various reasons. so a quick update.
The equestrian insurance has been ordered. The schedule is being finalize. It looks like there will be two 90 minute sessions in the morning and early afternoon. Equestrian will still be the focus of the demo with jousting, games, and a processional.
We will have final details at the next meeting, and be posting on the various social media sites and email.
- Kingdom A&S—Luaithrend will explore bid for 2018 (will not do 2017 as our Baronial Feast is slated for April of 2017, and we are already doing May Crown)
- Sale of old baronial pavilion
- Craig’s list? To show potential buyer?
- Take it to July Coronation?
- Baron Stefan suggest taking photos, but wants the buyer to walk through it.
- Will post on facebook and email list to offer to baronial members first. (Roof, walls, poles, package deal.)
- Looking at somewhere around $500. This is a 20-year old pavilion, but the frame is solid, the walls are nearly new, and the poles have been redone.
- Baronial selection poll
- Process in flight now.
- Currently soliciting and accepting nominations!!
- Submit nominations to Lady Gera and to Baron and Baroness.
- Not required to speak to the persons you are nominating, but it is probably good practice.
- Polling information is on the facebook site, on the email list, and on the baronial website.
- Candidate resumes and letters will be added to the website when the time comes.
- Summer Coronation camping
- If you are camping, and you want space, please contact HL Gera!!!
- Potential Project: Baronial Business/Chatelaine Business cards
- Baron Stefan says take off line and make this a project!!
- HL Klaufi—we need to have a thrown weapons championship! Need to have a conversation with Baroness Alianora to get that on the schedule for Emprise.
- This is a thing that needs to happen!!
- Will it work at Emprise? Site concerns, event steward concerns, new baronage, etc. need to be consulted.
- Exchequer: HL Lady Emma la Rousse d’Argentan
- Herald: HL Anne-Rose Smythe
- Branch Marshal: Sir Athos Belisarios
- Rapier Marshal: HL Katryne MacKim
- Scribe: Lady Madelena Vieri
Please note that I announced our new/returning rapier marshal would be Don Enzio, however, after Curia HL Kate MacKim volunteered and will be taking on that role instead.
Officer positions accepting applications:
- Gold Key Deputy
- Family Activities Coordinator
Appendix: Reports from Guilds, Officers, Subgroups
Costumers (Acting)(Lady Juana al Rumiya – the Christian)
Sunday August 7th Bellevue Library Meeting Room
Culinary (Mistress Ysolt of Wind Hill)
Dance (HL Ranulf Mirthe)
Music and dance:
Master Trahaern (Madrone) and Mistress Sara de Bonneville (Wyewood) leading and teaching. HL Soelig Swetegle and Alen (Aquaterra) visiting. Mostly 16th cent Italian balli from Cesare Negri and Fabritio Caroso, some 15th cent Italian. Music by Ranulf on recorders.
Crown Tourney. [Failed to attend]
Mistress Alisaundre and Master Lieth attended; presume vocal and instrumental performance, Anneke and Colette de Venoix also performing. Mistress Sara de Bonneville atttended; presume led and taught social dance, probably some Arbeau and Playford; possibly a few Italian dances. Presume Camp Fromage party band attended and played party (and possibly dance) music, led by Maitre Guillaume on bagpipe. Presume Sir Master William the Harper performed on lute and voice.
JuneFaire, Dragon’s Laire [Failed to Attend]
Presume music by Bards of Key Point, among others.
“Afterlife” tournament well attended.
OT but P:
June 5th, Madrone; Goode’s Companye of Foote (pike practice and Barbecue)
Consort Conspiratio performed Elizabethan-era a cappella music. Between sets, some background music on recorder (Ranulf)
June 12th: Victoria, BC (Seagirt)
Recorder workshop; mostly Elizabethan part-songs
June 17-19: 50YC
June 20th: Madrone Social
July 9th: Madrone Peasants’ Revel
July 15th-17th: Coronation
Good luck with your projects, and I hope this finds you and your loved ones happy and healthy.
HL Ranulf Mirthe
mka Toivo Rovainen
Equestrian (Lord Bernard of York)
Madrone Equestrian Guild report-
We have a new Guildhead, Bernard of York, and Katelyn will serve for another year as Steward. If you have contact info for the guild on a website, please update, thank you!
Planning continues for a demo at Camp Don Bosco in July, and for the Emprise of the Black Lion at Reber Ranch in Kent in September.
Practices and meetings continue, see the Madrone Equestrian Guild website for details.
Pewter (Master Sean O’Conner)
Archery (Mistress Shadhra Aliya)
Arts & Sciences (6/17) (HE Aeron Corrino)
The Costuming guild is making inroads toward regular meet-ups.
Our A&S champion won best display this last weekend at a local event.
Our A&S champion is also looking to put together classes on fabric printing and a few of us will be Guinea pig testers for her class methodology!
The culinary guild moves apace toward next banquet and will be taking pamphlets of their reconstructions to 50th Uear Celebrations.
The collective sewing and embellishing efforts of the barony successfully came to fruition at May Crown in the food and staging and clothing executed for Ysolt’s elevation to The Order Of The Pelican. Truly a Baronial effort.
The arts continue undeterred.
Artisans continue to create sans fatalities or grievous injury.
No insurance paperwork is required this month.
Yours in service:
Baron Aeron Corrino
Minister Arts And Sciences
Branch Marshal (5/18) (Sir Athos Belisarios)
Fighting Continues. No Injuries. Wavers are signed. Sir Athos will be stepping up as the new armored combat Marshal. While I shall resume my once and future Rapier Marshal role.
Chamberlain (4/17) (HL Karrel der Ertmundigender)
Quiet month. Storage locker getting crowded. No requests for use of baronial property for next few months. Still need volunteers to help with inventory/work party.
Looking at June 25, open on the time, please volunteer!!!
Chatelaine (6/16) (Baroness Bergdis Thorgrimsdottir)
It has been a busy month. We had 7 new email or Facebook inquiries in May, at least 4 brand new, and at least one with some past history of the SCA. We also had 10 new members in the meet-up group. I have provided information, and generally encouraged the new contacts to come to a Social as their first activity. I also recommended that they attend June Faire, and some did. For interested young people, I also refer them to Sarah Pixie, the YAC. We had a few new people at the Month Baronial Social.
Also has paid MeetUp site fee, and will bring receipt for reimbursement next meeting.
Chatelaine for the Barony of Madrone
Family Activities Coordinator (vacant)
Herald (6/18)(HL Anne-Rose Smythe)
Lists (2/18) (Luaithrend the Falconer’s Wife)
I have touched base with HL Cesare regarding tourney format for the Madrone Masters. Other than that, there is nothing else to report at this time.
In service always,
luaithrend inghean uilliam
Minister of Lists
Rapier (12/16) (Don Enzio Bandinelli)
Scribe (6/16) (HL Madelena al Vieri)
Thrown Weapons – (HL Klaufi Hafrsson)
Baronial Thrown Weapons Report
We average 6 attendees at practice, 5 paying adults, 1 minor who does not participate.
Practices progressing on Wednesdays at 5:30 PM until October
Nathaniel Lekharev, MKA Phil Cohen has been promoted to Senior Thrown Weapons Marshal
Nathaniel Lekharev, MKA Phil Cohen has achieved the rank of Grand Master in Thrown Weapons
Discussions regarding a Baronial Thrown Weapons Championship have begun!
So ends Thrown Weapons Report
Webster (8/16) (Lady Alicia du Bois)
I continue to receive feedback and suggestions for our Baronial Website. This is wonderful and I welcome more!
If you would like assistance with adding the Baronial Calendar to your mobile device or laptop, please let me know!
What happened in May:
Baronial Website Project:
– I received some feedback about links or other errata within the pages and I appreciate it very much! If you find anything else that gives an error page or if something is missing or incorrect, please let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org
– I have received what we have of our Baronial awards database and I will be adding it to the website. There will be a form on each awards page so that if you know information that can fill in any gaps you can let us know.
– I have put in a request to obtain high resolution images of the Madrone Domesday book to be able to use them for inspiration for a new website design.
– updated some links and pages
– labeled the Monday night social space activities on the Baronial Calendar in a more informative way
– added the An Tir Kingdom events feed to the Baronial Calendar
– updated forwarding email addresses for exchequer, scribe
– assisted as needed with the Baronial Polling process draft and web pages (now live at baronyofmadrone.net)
Lady Alicia du Bois
Webster of Madrone
Some people have been having difficulty getting subscribed to the mailing list. Has raised the issue with Kingdom more than once and is still pursuing the matter to GET ANSWER!! May be a Comcast issue; will continue to look into this matter to find a resolution.
Youth Armored Combat Marshal (Lady Sara Pixie)
Kids are fighting! Lots of kids at practices! Doing events for other Baronies as we are not having any at this time.
Canton of Porte de l’Eau (Baroness Aleksandra Lavrovna)
The Canton continues to flow peacefully along. We’ve had some “new” (as in we haven’t seen them in a while) folks show up to the business meetings the last couple of months. We will be continuing to meet at Crossroads thru the summer at least.
There will be no June meeting for the Canton as several of our folks are making the trek to the 50 year celebration. The next meeting will be July 25.
Friday night practice/social will be returning to the Canton courtesy of Sir Rafael & Mistress Kirj-e. The first one will be July 29. Stay tuned for more details to come as the date approaches.
Our event/demo “Saturday in the Park with Sven” will be happening October 1. Please let us know if you’d like to lend a hand!
Since I seem to have acquired a cold, I’m going to be selfish and not share by coming tonight.
Seneschal, Canton of Porte de l’Eau