Barony of Madrone Curia Minutes
May 9, 2016
Call to Order: 7:14pm
B&B Welcome (Baron Stefan of Pembroke/Baroness Emmelina de Coventry)
- Not a lot of Baronial Business EXCEPT to announce that the three-year mark for Stefan and Emmelina is coming up in September, and they will be stepping down at that time.
- Polling to be conducted for a new Baron and Baroness for the Barony of Madrone.
- The Why?
- NOT because it’s been a difficult job. It’s been a joy!!!
- NOT that we’re burnt out, or tired: we love it??
- Want to continue serving the Barony in a different capacity, and still have the energy to do so at this time. Another three years? Would be TIRED!
- Crown and Kingdom Seneschal have been informed; selection plan is in process.
- Baroness Emmelina adds that she still has Passion for this game!!!
- HL Gera extends her thanks to Their Excellencies for all of their hard work.
- Skipping ahead, Baron Stefan addresses time commitments, etc., involved in being Baron/Baroness. Discusses 10 hours a week on average, but can be more as needs dictate.
- We have a very hard-working barony. There are a lot of folks who step up and help out. Anticipates that the next Baron and Baroness will have lots of support and help.
- Discussion regarding Nomination Process versus Letter of Intent Process. The assembled nobles indicate that they would like to have a blended process.
- Self-nomination is also accepted.
- Send nominations to the Seneschal and to Their Excellencies.
Seneschal Welcome and Report (HL Gera Gangolffin)
- Several officer positions are STILL open.
- We have an excellent candidate for Herald!
- Looking for a chronicler/blogger…Tayla has expressed interest in blog moderation. Still looking for more team members/leaders. Chronicler is a required office; would actually be the blog moderator/editor-in-chief.
- Encourages the baronial officers to read Kingdom Law! If you need guidance as to the parts that pertain to your office, Kingdom Law is actually very helpfulJ
Exchequer Report (HL Julian Sinclair/HL Emma la Rousse de la Argentan)
Lady Emma’s warrant is signed and she is ready to take over. In June, she will be making the report!
Thank you Julian for all you’ve done these past few months!!!!
Per the April statement:
Checking: $ 6,369.52
Money Market: $ 15,011.82
Donations over the past several weeks: $ 285.00 cash
Return deposit on A&S $ 250.00
Money is flowing in the RIGHT direction!!!
Regarding practice on Memorial Day Monday, we do not know whether there will be practice. Julian would prefer to write a check for May once we find out whether we will be using the site on that night. Baron, Baroness, and Seneschal agree.
Financial Policies are approved and will officially be posted on the Baronial Website.
- 7/9/16: Peasants’ Revel. It’s happening!!! Team Soup is working on the food. Sarra will speak to ____________ regarding cheese rolling. There will be games! There will be cheese! It will be in the usual place!!! Rounding up Village Heads!! Sarra will be putting out information following May Crown (there are many new folk who do not know the history of the event). The Village Heads are the leaders of Barton on the Water, and Sodbury. Mud, and Dirt. Those are the teams (green versus blue). At the end of the day, one of the teams wins!! We are battling over who gets to have the little piece of land which contains The Boundary Stone!! Stay tuned for more information!! $3 for lunch (soup, cheese, bread, pickles, beverage). Family friendly, zero site fee, no meetings, occasionally Their Excellencies make an appearance in order to collect taxes. TAXES!!! Baron Stefan indicates that as this year they have tightened down the screws and tried to force as much as possible out of the Barony, He expects darned good taxes.
- 8/13/16: Madrone Masters’ Tournament (Lord Cesare Carravagio)
Crier Copy to be submitted shortly (due on May 15)
Then will enter the publicity phase (Facebook event, Site Page, etc.)
Judges are being recruited.
Budget to be proposed at next Curia
- 9/23-25/16: Emprise of the Black Lion (Master Guillaume Garrigues/Baroness Alianora Greymoor)
- We have a site!!! (And there was much rejoicing)
- Rever Ranch. We did look at multiple sites in order to expand into a camping event, but just did not come together.
- $1,250 cost to use the site this year.
- Reber will consider camping and will let us know accordingly. May have some revised number based upon the outcome of that conversation.
- Format same as prior years.
- Equestrian, foot combat, and archery to be had.
- Target Event for Baronial Investiture (which means Royal Presence.
- Attendance projected between 200-250 with Investiture.
- Break even is 176 (not much profit for a single-day event, but that may change is we can expand into a camping event)
- Guillaume indicates that equestrians from across the equestrian community in the SCA intend to event. Word Fame!!!
- 10/1/16: A Day in the Park with Sven
The Canton of Porte de L’eau wishes to advise you of a date change for the event Saturday in the Park with Sven. It will now be held on Saturday, October 1, 2016 in the same location. We look forward to your participation for this glorious event.
Will be at the Picnic Pavilion over by the climbing rock.
Advertising and coordination to come. Looking for rapier, heavy, etc. to demo for the people of Redmond and the surrounding areas.
Aware of scheduling conflicts with other events, but this was the only date Marymoor was open.
The Marymoor demo is a really good place to find people!!
- 5/19-21/17: May Crown 2017 (HE Stephen des Jardin, HL Gera Gangolffin)
Event bid provided to Kingdom events team for review. Formal presentation is planned at May Crown 2016.
Stephen will present at Crown. Hopefully a decision will be made in short order. (Deposit for site would be due at the first of June.) Expect that if we are approved, event planning meetings will begin soon. (Grant County Fairgrounds)
- June demo for YMCA Summer Camp Program
- Date: Wednesday, June 22
- Time: To be announced
- Will publicize on email and facebook
- Demo at Camp Don Bosco (Catholic Overnight Camp in Carnation, WA)
- This is the camp that we are currying favor with so that we can hopefully use their site for camping events
- July 22 (Friday)
- Equestrian Demo!! Ground Crew needed.
- Would like to order Insurance for the demo (need six weeks lead time for non-equestrian insurance)
- Sale of old baronial pavilion
- No discussion
- Updated website
- See Web Minister’s report
Officer positions accepting applications:
- Gold Key Deputy
- Rapier Marshal (or Branch Marshal – heavy)
- Family Activities coordinator
Appendix: Reports from Guilds, Officers, Subgroups
Costumers (Acting)(Lady Juana al Rumiya – the Christian)
Sunday June 5th 12-6 Bellevue Library Meeting Room
Sunday July 3rd. I booked the Joann Fabric Classroom but will be at AnTir West War. Can someone cover?
Sunday August 7th Bellevue Library Meeting Room
Culinary (Mistress-in-Waiting Ysolt of Wind Hill)
Dance (HL Ranulf Mirthe)
OT but P:
Stile Antico, a cappella group, performs songs from Shakespeare’s era. (Town Hall, through Early Music guild)
April 16th (two events)
Madrone: demo at Seattle Central Public Library. Organized by Dona Temetjen. Music by Camp Fromage Party Band: Master Guillaume on bagpipes and recorder, Maddalena on recorder, Mistress Annise, Master Sean, Lord Cesare and Lady Alianora on drums, joined by HL Jason the Soelfor-Tongued (recorders) from Aquaterra. Dancers included Dona Temetjen, Lancer Rignach, Mistress Maddy, Master Trahaern, and Lord Cesare. Dance led and taught by Ranulf Mirthe.
Seagirt: Spring Costume Ball. Recorded music. Mistress Anastasia leads.
Madrone Social. Master Trahaern leads and teaches. Mistress Sara de Bonneville (Wyewood) and HL Soelig, HL Alen (Aquaterra) visiting. Sir Brand joined dancing. Music by Ranulf (recorders).
Sir Brand’s Agincourt fundraising event for WSF. Much setup by Sergeant Karl and Countess Kerij-e. Alen and Claire visiting from Aquaterra with period field surgery setup. Count Rafael lending armor. Fanfare by Ranulf on HL Padreig’s trumpet.
OT but P:
Piffaro, the Philadephia Renaissance Wind Band, performs music from before Bach. (Town Hall, through Early Music guild)
Pre-concert music by Seattle Historical Arts for Kids in lobby.
Molto grazie; thank you for your time and attention.
HL Ranulf Mirthe
mka Toivo Rovainen
Equestrian (Mistress Annisa)
Practices and meetings continue, as well as event planning for the Emprise of the Black Lion on September 24 weekend.
The next practice is May 14 in Maple Valley
The next meeting is May 26 in Issaquah
The Guild has made 50 wooden toy horses to donate as largesse for the 50th Year celebration.
Pewter (Master Sean O’Conner)
Archery (Mistress Shadhra Aliya)
Arts & Sciences (6/17) (HE Aeron Corrino)
This month’s report is a bit lean, but good in its statement sparity.
Normal guild activities continue with industriousness in prep for the coming tourney season, to my knowledge there have been no art related injuries or fatalities. The guilds are humming along productively.
The Costumers Guild has held their first meet-up/work session under the energetic leadership of Juana, and I look forward to seeing the results of their renewed efforts.
Work has progressed on a multitude of fronts in prep for Ysolt’s vigil/elevation at May crown, involving scribes, our A&S Champion, the culinary guild, and a number of Madrone artisans making cord, weaving trim, embroidering and embellishing, and sewing… a great example of baronial artisans community working together.
Branch Marshal (5/17) (Don Enzio Bandinelli)
Fighting continues. We had one major injury this month, which paperwork got filed for. Waivers got signed. I have to apologize; I had to miss two practices this month due to work.
Chamberlain (4/17) (HL Karrel der Ertmundigender)
Chatelaine (6/16) (Baroness Bergdis Thorgrimsdottir)
We had 1 new email inquiries in March, a young man brand new to the SCA. We also had 5 new members in the meet-up group. I have provided information, and generally encouraged the new contacts to come to a Social as their first activity. For young people, I also refer them to Sarah Pixie, the YAC. We had some new people at the Month Baronial Social, as well.
Chatelaine for the Barony of Madrone
Family Activities Coordinator (vacant)
Herald (6/16) (Lady Matilda Stoyle)
Lady Matilda is stepping down and we need an immediate replacement to serve as Red Tree Pursuivant.
Lists (2/18) (Luaithrend the Falconer’s Wife)
Greetings unto the fair Barony of Madrone. As we have hosted no events this past month, I have no results to report to Curia.
I look forward to the Madrone Master’s Tournament on August 13 as well as The Emprise in September. Additionally, if our fighters wish to hold mini-tournaments on practice nights, I’d be happy to provide Lists support!
In service always,
luaithrend inghean uilliam,
Minister of Lists
Rapier (12/16) (HL Renzo di Venturius)
Scribe (6/16) (HL Rignach of Argyll)
Thrown Weapons – (HL Klaufi Hafrsson)
Web (8/16) (Lady Alicia du Bois)
I continue to receive feedback and suggestions for our Baronial Website. This is wonderful and I welcome more!
What happened in April:
Baronial Website Project:
- Website migration from Joomla! to WordPress is complete! The new website looks very very similar to the old site. I will work on giving it a design facelift in the next couple of months
- I made a reasonable effort to catch any links within the pages and to make sure that they work within the new site. If you find anything that gives an error page or if something is missing, please let me know at email@example.com
- If you need to update the Madrone website and do not already have a login to administer the site, please contact me.
- I have received what we have of our Baronial awards database and I will be adding it to the website. There will be a form on each awards page so that if you know information that can fill in any gaps you can let us know.
- updated some links
- uploaded the latest financial policy document (2016 version) to replace the previous (2013) version.
Lady Alicia du Bois
Webster of Madrone
Additionally: should any of our Officers wish access to the site to update their information/section, please contact Lady Alicia.
Notification of meetings and updates to meetings should be directed to Alicia so that she can update the website (or do it yourself)
Baron Stefan extends his thanks to Lady Alicia for her excellent work!! Also encourages Officers and Guild Heads to utilize the new site!
Youth Armored Combat Marshal (Lady Sara Pixie)
Practices continue. I hosted 2 in Seattle, 2 in Renton and 2 in Everett. At one Monday Seattle practice we had three new to the SCA fighters in addition to our our regular fighters. No injuries.
Canton of Porte de l’Eau (Baroness Aleksandra Lavrovna)
Fighter practice has been suspended until the Canton can find a new site.
Business meetings are held the 4th Monday of each month in the food court at Crossroads Mall.
There is a vigil happening on Friday night at May Crown!!! Please come by to visit with Tayla as she prepares for her elevation!
Valeria is also ill (long-time member of the Canton), contact Tayla for more information.
Meeting Adjourned: 8:18pm
Barony of Madrone
Selection Polling Plan
The current landed nobles of the Barony of Madrone, Their Excellencies Stefan of Pembroke and Emmelina de Coventry, have declined to pursue a second term. Accordingly, Madrone will be conducting a selection polling during Summer 2017.
Baronial Eligibility criteria:
- Candidates should be over 18, paid SCA members, and reside within the Barony of Madrone (which includes the canton of Port de L’eau).
- Candidates should be a couple (not limited to romantic partnerships), and can be either opposite sex or same sex.
- Declare their intent to pursue appointment as Baron and Baroness via email to Seneschal and to Their Excellencies
- Upon acceptance by the Crown, publish their statement and SCA resume to the baronial website
- Participate in a minimum of two meet-and-greets, one in Madrone and one in Port de L’eau
We have submitted a proposal for online polling, which is pending review and approval by the Crown and Kingdom officers. (Provided this is approved, we will be the first Barony to do polling on-line!)
Proposed Sequence of Events:
- May 9, 2016: Their Excellencies shall announce their intent to step down at May Curia, and solicit letters of intent for baronial candidates
- May 15, 2016: Notice of upcoming polling shall be submitted to the Crier for June publication
- TBD: Deadline for receipt of letters of intent, SCA and modern resumes, which shall be submitted to the Crown for approval
- TBD: Upon receipt of Royal approval, official candidate announcement is made. Candidate statements and SCA resumes only will be published to the Madrone website.
- TBD: Baronial candidate meet-and-greets shall be scheduled after schedule consultation with final candidates. We can host a meet-and-greet at Peasants’ Revel if timing is appropriate.
- July 3-9: Target time frame for electronic baronial polling to be made available, with access information publicized via email and baronial website.
- September 23, 2016: If the schedule permits, Baronial Elevation will take place at the Emprise of the Black Lion. (Subject to timely completion of process, and the schedule of TRM)
Events this summer that affect the timeline for candidate and Royal availability:
- June 17-27, 2016 – 50 yr
- June 30-July 4, 2016 – An Tir West War
- July 9, 2016 – Madrone Peasants’ Revel
- July 15-17, 2016 – July Coronation
- August 13, 2016 – Master’s Tournament
- September 1-4, 2016 – September Crown
- September 23-24, 2016 – Emprise of the Black Lion
$350 request received from equestrian guild for fees for site.
$240 left in their account!!!
Advance? Julian is OK with floating the shortfall, but the guild needs to know that they are out of money.
They pay quarterly?
Mistress Annisa and Viscountss Kerij-a join us for this discussion.
$244 remaining in bucket.
Guillaume is trying to get the matching funds.
Approve a variance?
WE can do that. The question is, will you be able to make up the shortfall next quarter?
Paying per quarter for site rental.
Viscountess Kerij-e and Mistress Annisa indicate that this check is for May, June and July.
Hopefully by June the matching will be worked out.
This should only be an issue at this one point.
If the matching funds continue to be an issue, the guild will hold a fundraiser.
Financial Committee agrees to write the check.
All in favor. No opposed.